RFC: Marketing collateral plan

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 28 15:24:36 UTC 2015

On 07/28/2015 11:05 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:34:35AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>> 3. Level 3 - Advanced Fedora users:
>>> Fedora users that are developers, upstreams, system admins, and so on.
>>> They care about lower level changes - what's changed in systemd,
>>> yum/dnf and so on.
>> Why would you market Fedora to folks who are already users and who
>> are advanced users? What is the goal there? (Obviously not to get
>> them to try it?)
>
> I can think of several:
>
> * Convince them to move from advanced user to contributor

I'm not sure how release-specific materials would help achieve this end
(once the release is out, it's a bit late to help out with feature x?)
We have a lot of pre-existing non-release-specific materials on this on
the wiki that could stand to use improvement and updating (although
Fedora Hubs is, from my POV, the primary effort towards this goal right
now; part of the idea of that is that our team joining/bootstrap
processes vary so wildly across the project that a system that's a bit
more flexible in capturing them for newbies is going to be better than
having mostly out-of-date / non functional static content.)

> * Help enable them to be ambassadors (either in our official sense or
>    more informally as advocates to other potential users)

Again, this probably isn't release specific? Unless you're saying the
already-users could use the materials to promote Fedora in their own
context (which is fine, but then the actual reader of the material
doesn't use it - again - so the focus is non-users, not already-existing
users. The existing user's part in this equation is finding a link to
the PDF to print it out.)

> * Simply to reinforce / retain loyalty

That's where the swag comes in. :) Maria Leonova, who recently started
as an intern on my team, is going to be working within the Fedora Design
team on a long-term effort to clean up our print-ready swag designs and
expand where deemed necessary. (Part of the process is going to involve
interviewing ambassadors to figure out what kinds of swag are most
effective / needed.)

>> Folks who are already users / advanced users aren't going to use a
>> flyer or any printed / PDF document as a primary source for
>> information. There are much better ways to reach these folks.
>
> Yeah, maybe paper isn't the best approach for this category.

I'm really leery of printed materials in that they usually get dumped at
or before the end of a conference / not super eco friendly, they take a
*lot* of effort (reformatting for different geo regions is not always
cake either), they cost money, and go out of date really quickly. The
return on investment is usually pretty low IMHO, and it seems the wrong
approach in many cases.

~m