RFC: Marketing collateral plan

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 12:09:52 UTC 2015

Máirín Duffy píše v St 29. 07. 2015 v 12:20 -0400:

> On 07/29/2015 12:05 PM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > Flyers might not be the best idea, but they are still the best
> > thing I
> > have had at a Fedora booth for the audience I described above. I
> > remember when we had Fedora Cloud flyers at LinuxCon Europe for the
> > first time. They were running out much faster than Fedora stickers
> > or
> > badges. And they were not very nicely done because we made them
> > very
> > last minute.
>
> To be clear, I don't have much issue with a general Fedora flyer (we
> should have a general Fedora preso too) - it's the release specific
> ones, per product, where I don't think it's worth it because the
> audience that would care about the changes from release to release is
> clearly not the same audience you're looking to reach with a general
> Fedora flyer.
>
> I think the booklet you are planning is also a brilliant idea and
> will
> go a long way.
>
> I would really like to see us get away from 'last minute' 'thrown
> together' materials and rather have them designed properly and
> reflect
> our brand appropriately. I am more than happy to help getting us
> there
> with a general Fedora flyer design that could be updated from time to
> time.
>
> What I am not interested in is an additional 3 release-specific
> deliverables put on my team's schedule every release without our
> consent, especially when we've had that deliverable in the past and
> usually end up being the ones responsible for the content when it's
> not
> provided to us in time to do the design on schedule. And the
> alternative
> to it being a recurring item on our schedule of a template to be
> filled
> in by a non-designer is not okay from my perspective because the
> results
> that produces are not where we want our branding and marketing
> materials
> to be. I would rather nothing than something representing Fedora that
> looks unprofessional and causes derision of our ability to design
> things
> leading potential users to think our OS is as badly designed as
> poorly-done print materials handed out in our name.
>
> > BTW when you think of a typical consumer of our marketing
> > materials,
> > please don't only think of audiences of conferences such as OSCON
> > or
> > FOSDEM. We're well-known there, we go there mostly to maintain a
> > relationship with our user base and image in the open source
> > community,
> > not to get new users. But if you go outside the open source
> > community
> > shell you'll find out that awareness of Fedora is pretty non
> [...]

OK, that was a bit of misunderstanding, I thought you were arguing
against all fliers.

It'd be nice to have at least three nicely done release non-specific
fliers: Workstation, Server, Cloud.

As a bonus, something tailored for specific user bases would be nice
(developers - python/ruby/C/..., designers,...). I remember the fliers
for graphics designers and video makers were quite popular.

Those can last at least several releases. Release-specific fliers are
not a must IMHO.

BTW this is a sample of the booklet we're working on:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B30peRG8NZqGTm8yVV9JUUNDRjQ/view
It's in Czech and the last chapter and some pictures are yet to be
added, but you can get an idea of what we're working on. Maria is doing
a cover for the booklet.

Jiri