New Magazine theme

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 10 13:49:05 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 03/09/2015 05:58 PM, Zacharias Mitzelos wrote:
> Where do you think we should place the
> Categories of the Magazine? In our current theme, we've placed them next
> to the Magazine logo. Any ideas? I really like that the top blue bar is
> empty though, and contains only the logo and the social media buttons.

I gave Ryan some feedback while he was working on this and recommended
that we just drop the categories. We talked it over at length and
concluded it was the best way to go. The problem with our current
categories is that for the most part they are audience-focused, eg "For
Contributors" "For users." But we couldn't find any examples of
magazines online that do this - online magazines use topical categories,
not audience-based ones. Let your readers decide what they are
interested in instead of choosing for them - if you really feel the need
to have a dividing line like that it'd make more sense to have a
separate publication for each audience.

The other thing is that a lot of users hitting Fedora magazine posts,
based on our referral logs, are coming from start.fpo in which case we
have a far more powerful way to direct them to other content they'd be
most interested in on the site - we know they clicked on the link to the
article they're viewing, so if we want to keep them on the site and
pursuing around we'd best offer articles related to or similar to that.
You can see Ryan exploited this in the design by having related posts as
the most visible piece of content besides the article content in the
upper right side of the article display; recent posts are below that
which - in part - helps the users understand this is a living site and
actively updated so they know they can visit again to get more, newer
content later.

Make sense?

~m