New Magazine theme

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:39:03 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 07:04:35PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 05:55:39PM -0400, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> > >It does.  One of my concerns has been the invasion of inward-looking
> > >Fedora community articles, which seem out of place for appealing to a
> > >broad audience.  (e.g. "What's FESCo?")  At first the idea of a
> > >separate site appeals to me.
> > I really like this idea. It would allow us to have select content
> > about the community on the user-facing site, with a link to the post
> > on the community-focussed site.
>
> So, what I was going for in suggesting the user/contributor categories
> kind of _is_ like having a mini separate site, like this suggestion but
> with a lot less overhead both in systems administration and in blog
> administration. A whole 'nother site would double the workload, and
> we're largely depending on (awesome — thanks!) volunteer efforts for
> this as it is.

I don't think this doubles the workload in my experience running
Wordpress.  Most of the work is either non-duplicative anyway, like
editing or writing articles, or is nominal effort once you do it on
one site, like testing changes, plugins or upgrades and then
implementing on both sites once satisfied.

> I'm also concerned with too strong of a divide meaning that the
> important contributor-focused articles end up in yet another
> underground silo somewhere... we've had a hard enough time building up
> the magazine as a place to look.

The divide is the entire point, though.  The designers are finding
that a topical organization would help people find more relevant
content.  And cross linking is zero friction as well.

What you're suggesting sounds like approaching the same content issues
we have on Planet (no audience definition, no relevance grouping).  We
don't need to recreate those issues in the Magazine.