New Magazine theme

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:44:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:46:58PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Sorry for breaking the thread and top posting w my awful mobile
> client....
>
> Do we have stats showing any difference in traffic to community vs
> user oriented content?
>
> I'd argue planet.fpo is the contributor version.... and magazine is
> the user version. I liked Paul's idea of having the default on the
> front page being user focused content instead of all. An idea is
> that the contributor focused stuff could get posted to planet via
> fedora mags rss feed which links back to fedoramag, but not promoted
> as the user content is.

This is a good idea to consider, also.  And +1000 to the Planet point
you made.  I talked about Planet in another post from a different POV
(content is kind of a firehose without grouping or audience
definition) but I think we may be in agreement.

> I think youre going to get a better site overall by making a choice
> rather than straddling the two audiences. There is such a dearth of
> Fedora user-focused content in general I really think better to make
> fedoramag for them since they need it. You could better serve
> contributors with some curation on planet.fpo (display planet.fpo
> curated by default?) or by getting individuals already listed on
> planet to make more better posts. (And the hubs, when they are ready
> :) )

+1 here too.

> Re underground silo.... what kinds of critical contributor content
> are you most concerned about?  would planet.fpo not serve that
> content well?
>
> If the concern is that planet posts are fleeting, could we stand up
> another wp - very informal - for the contrib focused stuff... but no
> front end, brand identity, or anything, just an rss feed to be
> slurped into planet but the posts / comments / stats would be stored
> in the wp?

This is an interesting idea; does it mean that we would route *only*
contributor-focused articles to Planet?  I actually think that could
be smart to improve Planet relevance/coherence.