recycling "Fedora Insight" name?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed May 6 22:07:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 04:45:43PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 01:25:53PM -0400, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> > On 05/05/2015 12:12 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > I'm still unsure about "news", because I'm afraid that people will
> > > think that it's just another announce-list (or devel-announce). A lot
> > > of the things I anticipate posting would be kind of "pre-news" — this
> > > is being worked on (and maybe needs input), rather than this was
> > > _done_. Plus, I want somewhere to post articles along the lines of
> > > <http://fedoramagazine.org/lets-talk-about-fedora-project-objectives/>,
> > > which isn't news at all.
> > >
> > > I'm happy to drop "insight", though, if people aren't fond of it, or
> > > worse, have a negative association — I don't really have any
> > > association with it _at all_, other than I know many of you were
> > > working on it and then it morphed into the Magazine instead.
> >
> > I guess I'm unfamiliar w/the Insight history. News seems fine, and "what
> > we're doing / working on that will soon affect you" does fit under the
> > "news" category.
>
> I don't think it's as much a negative association per se as a name
> with history attached that would confuse people.  It was a project
> that fizzled, so to reuse the name would be confusing about how this
> new site came about.  -1 Insight for me too.

And... just so I can contribute something useful and constructive, :-)
I think what would make great sense is calling this site "Fedora
News."

Lest anyone think this is too generic, the madness hath method!  The
kind of information we are proposing go into the site is *precisely*
that which used to be covered by Fedora Weekly News.  We're basically
removing the "Weekly" in name as well as concept.  And perhaps you
could visit it at news.fp.o -- which makes sense not only for naming
but because it is the news of the project itself.

If you think of these companion sites in terms of movies -- which
everyone should know by now I love -- Fedora Magazine is a lot like
Empire, and Fedora News is a lot like Variety.  You read the first
because you love going to movies and dipping into more about them.
You read the second because you're in the business of making movies,
and you need to know things like what studio exec just hopped jobs, or
that the Writers Guild is bucking for more benefits.