recycling "Fedora Insight" name?

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Wed May 6 23:25:01 UTC 2015

On 05/07/2015 09:12 AM, Pete Travis wrote:

> On May 6, 2015 4:07 PM, "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com
> <mailto:stickster at gmail.com>> wrote:

> devel-announce). A lot
> — this
> > > > >
> <http://fedoramagazine.org/lets-talk-about-fedora-project-objectives/>,

> it, or

> and "what
> under the
> > >
> > > I don't think it's as much a negative association per se as a name
> > > with history attached that would confuse people.  It was a project
> > > that fizzled, so to reuse the name would be confusing about how this
> > > new site came about.  -1 Insight for me too.
> >
> > And... just so I can contribute something useful and constructive, :-)
> > I think what would make great sense is calling this site "Fedora
> > News."
> >
> > Lest anyone think this is too generic, the madness hath method!  The
> > kind of information we are proposing go into the site is *precisely*
> > that which used to be covered by Fedora Weekly News.  We're basically
> > removing the "Weekly" in name as well as concept.  And perhaps you
> > could visit it at news.fp.o -- which makes sense not only for naming
> > but because it is the news of the project itself.
> >
> > If you think of these companion sites in terms of movies -- which
> > everyone should know by now I love -- Fedora Magazine is a lot like
> > Empire, and Fedora News is a lot like Variety.  You read the first
> > because you love going to movies and dipping into more about them.
> > You read the second because you're in the business of making movies,
> > and you need to know things like what studio exec just hopped jobs, or
> > that the Writers Guild is bucking for more benefits.
> >
> > --
> > Paul W. Frields
>
> I recall that Fedora Magazine once had sections.  A section for users
> and a section for contributors makes more sense to me than spinning up
> a whole new site.  Users might be interested in content in either
> scope, and we want them to *become* contributors.  It strikes me as
> more inclusive to make all the content available in one place, anyway,
> but not necessarily on the same pages.

yeah, we had a discussion about this a while back, and this is where the
idea of a seperate site propagated from. The idea here is that different
sites will allow us to focus content on our two prime audiences. Even
with categories, people that really only care about user-facing content
have a larger signal-to-noise ratio with posts about elections,
community stats etc.

That is not to say that *some* of the communtity related content doesn't
belong on the magazine, it's just that not all of it should be there,
firehose style. We also get the added benefit of when we do put
community-releated content on the magazine, we can tailor it in an
outreach-style to a more focused audience -- for example a flock post
would go into more detail of flock and it's aims while a majority of
people that are already contributors already know this.

cheers,
ryanlerch