Disseminating information about F22 containing some F21 packages

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sat May 23 19:36:15 UTC 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Since there wasn't a mass rebuild for F22, the F22 repos have some F21
> packages, which is perfectly fine. However, I've seen a few people
> worry about this - the most recent query came up on the devel list.
> Should we write a short post on the magazine explaining the situation
> and allay users' fears? (and twitter and facebook and G+ and so on)

Why are there fears?

In some earlier Fedora releases, going back to when it had Core as part of the name even... a single release might have packages that had 2, 3, 4 or maybe 5 release version packages as part of it.  I guess there were just less changes back then or something... but it was rare when all packages had to be rebuilt each release.  In fact rebuilding everything is a fairly recent phenomenon caused by things like changing compression format used by the package manager or major glibc changes... or something unusual like that... or at least that is my layman understanding.

In any event, the people who might "fear" seeing multiple release version packages for a new release are exactly the people who won't even be looking at package filenames to see the version numbers in there.  I mean... folks download an .iso file, boot it (on a physical machine or VM), do the install... and then use some GUI package manager (like GNOME Software or yumex) to find software... and they don't usually get into the nitty-gritty of filenames or complete package names... or am I mistaken?

So it came up on the devel list... devel's should know better I would think... but I guess that just goes to show that everyone on a list isn't necessarily hardcore.  Another example would be me on this list while mostly being a passive observer.

In any event, it might be an interesting history lesson of a story for the Fedora Magazine site but I doubt there are more than a small handful of fearful people. :)

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street