Systemd series -- need writers!

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 18:34:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Other than that looks great!

Oops, one more - KillMode=process is important for sshd, but probably
not for 99.9% of other units, so it was probably a bad choice to
examine. What it really does is when you stop it, systemd only
terminates the main PID, and not any children that may be in the same
cgroup. For sshd, this is critical since if you are connecting via
ssh, and do 'systemctl stop sshd.service', then your session would die
since it would kill everything in the cgroup.

I'm not certain if we want to get into details like that in this post
(it's somewhat esoteric), but it is critically important IMO to
understanding how systemd uses cgroups to group processes and
optionally apply resource controls to them.