Use of Link shorteners on Twitter

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 01:44:38 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 08:33 PM, Lord Drachenblut wrote:
> There is one reason for using ow.ly <http://ow.ly> URL shortener and
> that is it allows the person posting via hootsuite to track engagement
> with a post.  I would rather see a URL shortener that is fedora branded
> being used if possible.

This was the major point I was thinking of mentioning. Personally, I
feel like link shorteners are only necessary if they're being utilized
to collect statistics and metrics. Judging by the context of this
thread, do we know who has the keys to the Hootsuite? I feel like social
media engagement statistics are something that could be an invaluable
resource to gauging which of our social media posts are effective and
which ones aren't as engaged.

If this *is* already happening, then the above paragraph can be
disregarded. In the case that statistics and metrics are being tracked,
I personally vote to abstain from using link shorteners except where
information about engagements and interactions are actually being utilized.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory
jflory7 at gmail.com