Systemd series -- need writers!

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 20:47:02 UTC 2015

Hi all,

So sorry to be late on this.  There's a systemd series in the works
that we'd like to get people to start working on.  Anyone interested
in writing one of these?  This is a great opportunity to get involved
even if you are more of a techie type, and don't want to have to
figure out a topic on your own.  We've done it for you! :-)

If interested, just reply here on the list.  Feel free to reach out to
community friends if you know someone who'd be interested, and get
them in touch with us.

* * *

systemd part 1: What is a unit file? What kind of things can it do?
Where should I modify or put new unit files on my system? How can I
find out what unit owns a process now running? How can I really kill
all processes for a unit?

systemd part 2: What are unit dependencies? How can you enforce
ordering of e.g. daemons or one-shot launches? How does this concept
lend to faster boot times?

systemd part 3: How can I more effectively use the systemd journal to
find and diagnose problems? [bound by time, by unit, since last boot,
other?...]

systemd part 4: How do I convert an existing SysVinit script into a
systemd unit file?

systemd part 5: How can I use a template unit file? [an example is the
getty service -- perhaps show how to launch multiple web hosts or
something this way?]

systemd part 6: How to mask a service unit (and why; difference
between this and disable)
 *** Ashutosh already volunteered for this one! \o/