'Getting Started with Fedora' handbook

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 13:50:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 06:06:18PM +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Hi,
> at Flock, I announced 'Getting Started with Fedora' handbook [1]. We
> recently released it and printed 1000 copies. Several hundred of them
> are already gone and at LinuxDays in Prague they were very popular. The
> handbook is in Czech and it meant to be a pilot project and if the
> result is successful we'd like to translate it to English, so that it
> can be translated to other languages later.
>
> Now comes the time. I'm looking for people who would like to help us
> with it. One thing is translating it to English (we have TeX sources
> [2]), another thing is to find some viable solution for translating to
> multiple languages, handling updates etc. May Zanata help us here?
>
> Jiri
>
> [1] https://sesivany.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/11224288_1020659767613
> 4664_1988108589250032943_o.jpg
>
> [2] https://github.com/celestian/fedora_handbook/

Since TeX is a typesetting system, it's not an optimal choice for
translating content.  Zanata doesn't look able to handle it:

"Supported formats include Gettext Portable Object (.po), Java
Properties (.properties), XLIFF, Mozilla DTD, LibreOffice (.odt .fodt
.odp .fodp .ods .fods .odg .fodg .odb .odf) and plain text (.txt)."
(from <http://zanata.org/features/>)

Is there a way to get from TeX souce to a .po, for example?