Regarding SystemD Article

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 22:13:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 05:23:28PM +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Ashutosh Bhakare píše v Čt 17. 09. 2015 v 19:58 +0530:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have quickly drafted the New Article on Systemd
> >
> > http://fedoramagazine.org/?p=10001&preview_id=10001&preview=true
> >
> > I dont know the process of writing the article as I am very new to
> > fedoramagazine; Appreciating any help in advance.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ashutosh S.Bhakare
>
> Hi,
> I don't have reviewer rights, so I can't see the article itself, but
> spelling in $subj and in the title of the article is wrong (although
> here it might be overruled by First Letters Always Capital in
> Titles...), so please make sure you're using the right spelling:
>
> Yes, it is written systemd, not system D or System D, or even SystemD.
> And it isn't system d either. Why? Because it's a system daemon, and
> under Unix/Linux those are in lower case, and get suffixed with a lower
> case d.
>  And since systemd manages the system, it's called systemd. It's that
> simple. But then again, if all that appears too simple to you, call it
> (but never spell it!) System Five Hundred since D
>  is the roman numeral for 500 (this also clarifies the relation to
> System V, right?). The only situation where we find it OK to use an
> uppercase letter in the name (but don't like it either) is if you start
>  sentence with systemd. On high holidays you may also spell it sÿstëmd.
> But then again, Système D is not an acceptable spelling and something
> completely different (though kinda fitting).
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
>
> Or the systemd kabal will take us on pitchforks :)

This is a good point.

However, Ashutosh, I think we need to meet up in IRC at some point to
discuss what we want to do with the systemd series.  This article is
not really aligned with what the editorial team talked about.  But
don't worry!  We can easily work out some hints and guidance to help
you make a better article draft.  What timezone are you normally in?