[commops] Bylines on Community Blog?

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:54:06 UTC 2016

On 02/16/2016 07:42 AM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Any chance of getting proper bylines on the community blog? That is, you
> know, a name with a link to a bio for the author? (And I do mean *name*
> not just someone's nick.)
>
> I like the footer on Fedora Magazine with the author's name, bio, and
> link to site + Twitter.

That's something I've wanted for the Community Blog for a while too. I
like having the biography boxes at the bottom, as it adds a little
character to the article by knowing who exactly it is that wrote an article.

I filed an issue for this in the Community Blog theme repo on Pagure.

     https://pagure.io/communityblog-theme/issue/6

You can find some of the other filed issues currently pending review in
the repo as well. Ryan mentioned a while ago that filing issues against
the them in Pagure was the best way for him to keep on track of problems
or suggestions in the theme.

     https://pagure.io/communityblog-theme/issues

As for using names versus nicks, that's a field that is specified by the
author in their WordPress profile (i.e. they choose whether they want to
be displayed as nick or Real Name). It would be nice to have it default
to Real Name versus nick like it does now, so if someone doesn't change
their profile, it will just show their name instead.

In regards to what Woo said on the Marketing list, it might be difficult
to pull this from a wiki page or other location in Fedora... what
happens on the Magazine is this information is sourced from whatever
biography the user has set in their Magazine profile.

I like the idea of encouraging this for new authors in the Community
Blog too if we could have a biography box added.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory
jflory7 at gmail.com