Social Media Strategy

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 18:49:06 UTC 2016

On 01/08/2016 12:28 AM, Beau Mathieson wrote:
> I have noticed that our primary Facebook and Twitter accounts are
> gearing their content more toward a user who has technical knowledge or
> is already a user of Fedora. Content about systemd, python, elections,
> etc aren't going to draw in potential users of a non technical
> background or one who has never used any Linux operating system before.

Sure, but those users ('never used any Linux operating system before')
probably aren't following Fedora on FB or Twitter, either. ;-)

We do need a way to signal to users who care about Fedora that there's
new content that may be relevant to them.

> I believe it's best to keep that content to the magazine and use social
> media to draw potential users in. Maybe we should use social media to
> target the everyday user. By doing that we could gain a lot more users
> and potential contributors and maybe we could even gain more of a stake
> in the market. We have a chance to do something amazing!

You raise a good point about content for potential users - but we need
that content, and a strategy that will reach them. How can we put that
new-user-friendly content in front of people who are poised to consider
Fedora in a venue where they're already paying attention? The @fedora
account probably isn't it.

Best,

jzb