Using the fedoramagazine-images repo

Remy DeCausemaker decause at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 20:43:43 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 01/07/2016 06:10 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> If you want to try your hand at making a banner image for the
>> Magazine, start by using the templates that Ryan has helpfully
>> provided.  You'll need the Inkscape app installed.
>>
>> 1. Open a terminal.
>>
>> 2. (optional) Change directory to the folder where you like to store
>> your project work.
>>
>>     $ cd projects        # or some other folder
>>
>> 3. Clone the repository
>>
>>     $ git clone https://pagure.io/fedoramagazine-images.git
>>
>> 4. Open Inkscape, and choose File > Open... (or Ctrl+O).  Navigate to
>> the project folder, then into "fedoramagazine-images", then into
>> "images."  Choose the "template.svg" file.
>>
>> 5. Save this as a *new* file with a different name.
>>
>> You can use the assets inside this file to start with the right sized
>> document, with some pre-configured backgrounds.  Feel free to look at
>> other SVGs for guidance.  Try to stick with fonts and motifs that you
>> see in recent banners.  But also feel free to experiment.  For
>> instance, use photographs (freely licensed, such as CC-BY or CC-BY-SA)
>> with a text overlay for a nice look.
>>
>> If you'd like to post your work somewhere, it's helpful to convert it
>> to a JPG first.  Save your SVG in the "fedoramagazine-images/images/"
>> folder as above.  Let's say it's called "mybanner.svg".  Open a
>> terminal, go to that directory, and type "make mybanner.jpg" and that
>> will create the correct sized JPG for you.  You can post that online,
>> and post the URL of the JPG to this list.
>>
>> * Don't attach files to email to this list -- URLs are preferred.
>
> Does this content live somewhere like the community blog? Cause...
> that'd be a cool thing to put there.
>
> Best,
>
> jzb

Agreed! Publicizing our Open graphics as a tool available to Fedorans
who are contributing written content, or looking to promote our
content visually is an excellent idea.

#action commops add a link to "Fedora Magazine Images Repo" to
"commops toolbox" wiki entry
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CommOps#Toolbox)

#action commops add this (as a ticket?) to be discussed during "Wiki
Gardening" on the meeting agenda for next week (1/12)

As far as adding it to the CommBlog, I think we should add it into our
"How to write for CommBlog" article that we point folks to.

#action commops add "Fedora Magazine Images Repo" section in the "How
to write for CommBlog" article
(https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/writing-community-blog-article/)

Good Call,
--RemyD.