[Magazine] Discussion about Shotwell article

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 02:29:19 UTC 2016

Hello all,

In the last ten minutes of the Magazine meeting today, we discussed the
status of the Shotwell article currently sitting in the Drafts category.
I think the last time we left off with it, its purpose and future were a
bit unclear. Now, we know some things to be true.

     1) Shotwell is definitely leaving Fedora in the near future as it
is no longer being maintained.

     2) Its future replacement, GNOME Photos, is not ready and likely
will not be ready even for Fedora 24 (mentioning it now isn't worth it).

     3) This article would be better focused on writing and introducing
some alternative software to Shotwell.

With all of these things in mind, it would be nice to convert this
article to an introduction in one of the alternative programs available
in Fedora. Sylvia (lailah / Kohane) pointed out one being Digikam, and
someone else mentioned Gthumb as a possibility.

Since this was originally Charles's article, we were hoping he could
clarify about what he wants to write about or if this is an article he
still wants to follow through with. @Charles, if you are no longer
interested in writing this, we can set it up and leave it the Holding
Pen as a possible article that someone could write in the future either
when they have free time or maybe as low-hanging fruit for someone
interested in writing about Fedora software.

Looking forward to seeing what we decide to do with this one!

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory
jflory7 at gmail.com