Marketing materials for Python events

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 03:17:15 UTC 2016

On 03/01/2016 09:01 AM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Hi,
> as Matthew announced at DevConf.cz our primary marketing focus for this
> year are Python developers.
> In EMEA, we've reacted and increased the number of Python events in the
> list of planned events (several PyCons, planning to be at EuroPython
> again...), but I realized we're not ready for that at all, or at least
> I'm not aware of anything.

As a note of reference, fale put together a list of all Python-related
events across the world on the wiki. This can help serve as an excellent
resource for planning for events and putting dates on the calendar.

I encourage all Ambassadors of all regions to take a glance at this page
and see what's coming up soon if you are not aware already.

     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Python_Events_2016

fale++

> We have no marketing materials. Miro created a "Fedora loves Python"
> sticker for Python CZ, but that's all we have in EMEA. Today, we were
> offered an opportunity to add our swag in conference bags at PyCon SK,
> but we don't have anything usable. Something like a flyer that explains
> why Fedora is the right system for a Python developer would be great.

I think this is something that the Marketing team can and definite
Ambassadors are also encouraged to help with this as well if they are
interested. Like Ruth mentioned, we do have a flyer, but it needs
updating. I think a good immediate objective is:

1) Compiling a list of Python "hot topics" (e.g. "What makes Python
great on Fedora?" "How can working on Python in Fedora be easier than
other distros?" And so on.)

2) Submitting a ticket on the Design Team Trac with this info and a
request to update the flyer for distribution in 2016.

The CommOps team is also heavily invested in helping with this area too
as a supporting team. It's also on our backburner but I'm beginning to
think this is something we should begin moving to the forefront of
planning. After all, these events are happening *now* and in the very
near future, so getting the gears turning ASAP is best.

I'm going to make sure that this email thread is converted to a
Marketing Trac ticket and added to the meeting agenda for Marketing
tomorrow.

> And it's not only about marketing materials, ambassadors should get
> instructions what to show Python developers, so that it won't end up
> like showcasing a la "hey, Fedora is cool, it has Firefox,
> LibreOffice,... and look it has windows just like Windows or Mac". So
> we would definitely need at least some talking points.

I agree with this point as well. Haïkel listed great starting points in
his reply (I think also mentioning that Fedora is actively helping
migrate to Python3 is an excellent point too). Using this as a base
might be a good idea.

I'm also very very very +1 to what Ardian said. A lot of our
infrastructure is based off of Python and showing some of the cool
things that our own developers have made for Fedora with Python is a
great and real-world example of things people can hack onto. I've been
sharing some Python projects in Fedora with some students in my
community, and there's been a lot of interest in Tahrir, the platform
that powers our Open Badges project. Additionally, the fedmsg system, or
in other words, the open firehose of data in Fedora, is also built in
Python, along with many of the cool tools that let us take this data and
show cool things and trends.

Putting together a list of "hot Python projects in Fedora" and some of
the things they enable would also be a good next step to take for
providing talking points and resources to our Ambassadors in the field.

I'm going to work on creating a ticket in the Marketing Trac – I'll make
it a point to share it in this email loop once it's created and provide
a place for people to begin placing down some ideas in a more static
environment.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory