[Marketing] Self-Introduction: James Bishop

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 06:26:42 UTC 2016

On 03/02/2016 03:20 PM, James Bishop wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> My name is James, and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada (AST). My FAS
> username is jamesbishopca, and my IRC username is the_jza. I am
> currently a student of marketing and I am set to graduate within the
> next couple of months, so I thought the marketing team would be a great
> fit. Outside of class, I am a web developer, where I work primarily
> with Wordpress and Python.
>
> I have been a user and advocate of Open Source software for more than
> 15 years, but this is the first time I have formally participated in an
> Open Source project. I am looking to move past being a passive consumer
> of Open Source software and would like to do my part to help make the
> projects I love the best that they can be. I am also a huge proponent
> of small business, and would love to see Open Source help
> entrepreneurs, especially those just starting out.
>
> The skills I bring to the table are as follows:
> 	Marketing - Marketing Research, Internet Marketing, and Writing
> 	Web Development - Python/Flask, Wordpress, MongoDB, and MySQL
>
> Some things I would like to do are promote the use of Fedora and other
> Open Source software within my local community, especially among
> students and small businesses. I'm also interested in marketing
> research. That being said, I am willing to help out in any way I can.
>
> If anyone has advice on some tasks I can get started with, please let
> me know.
>
> Thank you for reading. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Hi James! Welcome to Fedora Marketing.

Matt pretty much said everything I was planning on saying as well.
There's definitely a high need for people with your type of skill sets.
There's also a significant push in 2016 for marketing Fedora towards
Pythonista folks in the development world and "on the ground" via the
Fedora Ambassadors.

There's plenty of places for you to get involved and help out! My best
recommendation would be to check out one of the Fedora Marketing
meetings if the time slot works for you. We meet at 22:00 UTC on
Wednesdays (5pm US EST), and it generally only lasts for that hour slot.
If you're free, definitely try to make it out to the meeting in
#fedora-meeting-1 and join the party!

I would take a look through our Trac for an idea of the type of tasks
we're working on in Marketing. Tickets are how we keep tabs on tasks we
have going on and it also is how we track progress on those tasks.

Take a look through it and see if anything interests you!

     https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/

Looking forward to seeing you around these parts for the Marketing team. :)

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory
jflory7 at gmail.com