[Marketing] Fedora Social Media Proposal

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 16:04:28 UTC 2016

On 03/10/2016 09:07 AM, Brian Proffitt wrote:
> All:
>
> In the meeting on IRC yesterday, I referenced a proposal that I had sent
> to the project last September (I believe). I am resending the document
> here, having updated it to include information on the Fedora Community Blog.
>
> If you like, I can place this on the Fedora wiki for broader
> consumption/dissemination. Forgive me for not knowing the proper
> channels for such document publication.

Hi Brian, thanks for sharing this document out. I finished reading it
and I have a few ideas and thoughts.

== Sharing this document ==

I think getting this information into a public, accessible location for
later reference outside of the list will be a good start. I hate to say
the wiki, but I think for the present time being, this is the best place
to put it for now. We could possibly consider putting it out as an
internal page in the Fedora Magazine or similar, but I think wiki will
serve better for the time being.

== Engagement ==

Generally, across the board on all platforms, I think increased
engagement with our followers and communities is important. Whether it's
replies, retweets / shared posts, or holding discussions with fans, I
think this is one of the best and immediate things we can do to improve
our brand on social media.

Particularly on Twitter, there are a lot of one-off posts about things,
but I seldom see the Fedora account retweeting or carrying conversations
in tweets. I know that with an account like @Fedora, it might be noisier
than most, but looking through mentions on Twitter and seeing if anyone
has mentioned @Fedora and retweeting / quoting other tweets is a great
way to get people engaged and feel a greater connection to Fedora ("OMG
@Fedora retweeted my tweet!!!!").

Obviously this has to be done with some personal moderation since a
retweet can appear to be an official endorsement or promotion, so extra
caution would need to be taken to check the content before retweeting to
make sure there isn't a hidden "trap" at the bottom of the page or similar.

== Disclaimer ==

Going forward, I'll make note that I can't really speak to the Google+
or YouTube side of things because I don't have much personal experience
with either platform. I recognize their important but they're not my
personal area of knowledge. I'm more savvy with Facebook and Twitter.

== Twitter examples ==

I think a *fantastic* example of "Linux-oriented Twitter accounts done
right" is the *nixcraft Twitter account.

     https://twitter.com/nixcraft

There's probably a fair amount of strategy going into their posts
already, but scroll through their account and take a look at a lot of
the content that's being posted on that account. Occasional quotes that
are pinned to the top of the account for a time, convenient "how-to"
posts that link back to nixcraft websites, general highlighting of other
cool tech tips or news, and occasional retweets or quoted tweets.

Additionally, the account usually likes a fair amount of tweets that
replied back to their own tweets.

To me, this account is a gold example of something we could take a few
tips from for our Twitter social media strategy. It has a strong amount
of linking back to their own site / personal branding (something that
our social media presence almost exclusively does), but it also balances
that out with tweets or third-party content that helps establish the
account as an expert in its field (targeted mostly towards system
administrators). Identifying Fedora's Twitter audience is an important
step of tailoring our own content there.

The retweets / quotes also help integrate community members into feeling
a part of the brand too.

Anyways… </twitter>

== Help? ==

I'm not sure if there is an SOP to helping out directly with things like
engagement on official social media channels or if you have to wear the
Red Hat to be involved with social media, but I'd be interested in
helping with Facebook and Twitter from an engagement perspective (both
platforms that I'm fairly active on).

However, I don't want to derail this conversation with "ooh ooh pick
me!" discussion about social media accounts, so if this is irrelevant
for this topic, we can discuss in email or just drop this point from
discussion.

Hope this feedback helps!

--
Cheers,