[Marketing] Fedora Social Media Proposal

Brian Proffitt bproffit at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 18:05:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Justin W. Flory <jflory7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/10/2016 09:07 AM, Brian Proffitt wrote:
>
>> All:
>>
>> In the meeting on IRC yesterday, I referenced a proposal that I had sent
>> to the project last September (I believe). I am resending the document
>> here, having updated it to include information on the Fedora Community
>> Blog.
>>
>> If you like, I can place this on the Fedora wiki for broader
>> consumption/dissemination. Forgive me for not knowing the proper
>> channels for such document publication.
>>

> Hi Brian, thanks for sharing this document out. I finished reading it and
> I have a few ideas and thoughts.
>

> == Sharing this document ==
>
> I think getting this information into a public, accessible location for
> later reference outside of the list will be a good start. I hate to say the
> wiki, but I think for the present time being, this is the best place to put
> it for now. We could possibly consider putting it out as an internal page
> in the Fedora Magazine or similar, but I think wiki will serve better for
> the time being.

Acknowledged... any particular section?

> == Engagement ==
>
> Generally, across the board on all platforms, I think increased engagement
> with our followers and communities is important. Whether it's replies,
> retweets / shared posts, or holding discussions with fans, I think this is
> one of the best and immediate things we can do to improve our brand on
> social media.
>
> Particularly on Twitter, there are a lot of one-off posts about things,
> but I seldom see the Fedora account retweeting or carrying conversations in
> tweets. I know that with an account like @Fedora, it might be noisier than
> most, but looking through mentions on Twitter and seeing if anyone has
> mentioned @Fedora and retweeting / quoting other tweets is a great way to
> get people engaged and feel a greater connection to Fedora ("OMG @Fedora
> retweeted my tweet!!!!").
>
> Obviously this has to be done with some personal moderation since a
> retweet can appear to be an official endorsement or promotion, so extra
> caution would need to be taken to check the content before retweeting to
> make sure there isn't a hidden "trap" at the bottom of the page or similar.

+1 This is something I try to do on a regular daily basis on all of the
accounts I monitor, and I plan to increase the 1-2X/daily cadence to
2-3X/daily on my own.

> == Disclaimer ==
>
> Going forward, I'll make note that I can't really speak to the Google+ or
> YouTube side of things because I don't have much personal experience with
> either platform. I recognize their important but they're not my personal
> area of knowledge. I'm more savvy with Facebook and Twitter.
>

> == Twitter examples ==
>
> I think a *fantastic* example of "Linux-oriented Twitter accounts done
> right" is the *nixcraft Twitter account.
>
>     https://twitter.com/nixcraft
>
> There's probably a fair amount of strategy going into their posts already,
> but scroll through their account and take a look at a lot of the content
> that's being posted on that account. Occasional quotes that are pinned to
> the top of the account for a time, convenient "how-to" posts that link back
> to nixcraft websites, general highlighting of other cool tech tips or news,
> and occasional retweets or quoted tweets.
>
> Additionally, the account usually likes a fair amount of tweets that
> replied back to their own tweets.
>
> To me, this account is a gold example of something we could take a few
> tips from for our Twitter social media strategy. It has a strong amount of
> linking back to their own site / personal branding (something that our
> social media presence almost exclusively does), but it also balances that
> out with tweets or third-party content that helps establish the account as
> an expert in its field (targeted mostly towards system administrators).
> Identifying Fedora's Twitter audience is an important step of tailoring our
> own content there.
>
> The retweets / quotes also help integrate community members into feeling a
> part of the brand too.
>
> Anyways… </twitter>

Will take a look, but yes, this sounds like a good model to emulate.

> == Help? ==
>
> I'm not sure if there is an SOP to helping out directly with things like
> engagement on official social media channels or if you have to wear the Red
> Hat to be involved with social media, but I'd be interested in helping with
> Facebook and Twitter from an engagement perspective (both platforms that
> I'm fairly active on).
>
> However, I don't want to derail this conversation with "ooh ooh pick me!"
> discussion about social media accounts, so if this is irrelevant for this
> topic, we can discuss in email or just drop this point from discussion.

Who monitors/helps should very much be a Fedora discussion. I know we have
community members who own/moderate channels already (Matt Williams and the
Fedora page on G+ is a good example), so with proper policies, there's no
reason that can't be done.

But agreed, this could be a spin-off thread.

 Hope this feedback helps!

It does, thanks!

> --
> Cheers,