[Marketing] [Magazine] Planning ahead for this Friday

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 23:51:05 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm forwarding this email on behalf of Chaoyi (cydrobolt) – he was
having issues posting to the mailing list and this was a time-sensitive
topic. I chose a somewhat ambiguous subject to keep it low-key for if we
go with this to keep the surprise element.

* * * * *

Hey all!

As you may know, April Fool's is coming up this Friday. For those
unaware, it is a day where many people and organisations play "pranks"
by writing interesting articles.

For instance, Microsoft recently has posted an article about "bash in
Windows 10", which also includes a section joking about the availability
of Ubuntu binaries within Windows 10.

Justin and I were thinking about publishing an April Fool's article on
Fedora Magazine. Some ideas included "Internet Explorer now default
internet browser in Fedora 24" or "Fedora will support sticky keys in
Fedora 24"

If we made an April Fool's article about Internet Explorer (r), we would
be using a Microsoft trademark. However, the usage should be covered
under fair use because it is a parody and “use of some elements of a
prior author’s composition to create a new one that, at least in part,
comments on that author’s works.” (Campbell v. AcuffRose Music, Inc.)

See
https://apps.americanbar.org/litigation/committees/intellectual/roundtables/0506_outline.pdf

I think the post about Internet Explorer could be interesting, and
sticky keys would also be a quite interesting post. It would help us
garner free publicity and enjoy a good joke :)

After April Fool's, we can mend the article to show that it was an April
Fool's prank. It seems only fair since Microsoft has made April Fool's
pranks about Linux for many years in a row :)

Any input is appreciated! You may also ping us on #fedora-mktg

If either of these ideas are good, I can draft an article and get it
ready to publish before April 1st :)

Cheers,
Chaoyi

* * * * *