[Marketing] [Proposal] Auto-publish CommBlog posts to main @Fedora Twitter Account

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:48:15 UTC 2016

On 03/28/2016 09:31 PM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On 03/28/2016 03:04 PM, Remy DeCausemaker wrote:
>>
>> It has been suggested that we adjust the community blog's jetpack
>> plugin to post to the main @Fedora twitter account, so that we are not
>> dividing our content. The only possible issue that we have here is
>> that there is occasional cross-promotion that occurs between Magazine
>> and CommBlog. When we have big announcements--we post pointer or
>> wrapper articles between the two. This would create some overlap or
>> echo within the twitter feed.
>>
>> Even with this echo consideration in mind, I would propose to the mktg
>> list that we auto-publish posts from the CommBlog to the main @Fedora
>> twitter account, now that we've established our readership and
>> editorial process a bit further.
>>
>> This will *significantly* improve the visibility of our contributor
>> focused content published on CommBlog, as well as increase the
>> frequency of posts to the @Fedora twitter account (roughly 2-10
>> articles per week.)
>>
>> Thank you all for your time and attention to this proposal, and votes
>> and discussions are welcome here.
>
> We've had two -1s for auto-posting, so I'd suggest a bit of a modification:
>
> 1) Let everything from Community Blog auto-post to @fedoracommunity, but
> make the profile clear that's exactly what it is. No effort to build
> following there but if it grows organically, spiffy.
>
> 2) Explicitly add Community Blog to sources for human-curated content
> going to @fedora.
>
>                                # # #
>
> Also, can we get a sound-off on the humans who currently *are* curating
> content? It feels a bit wild west to me at the moment, as I'm never
> quite sure if there's anybody at the switch on a particular day.
>
> And is anybody tending to @replies to @fedora?

I'm also -1 to auto-posting to the Fedora accounts because of the human
aspect. It is possible to generate tailored messages within Jetpack for
posts to automatically go out when an article is published, but this can
cause problems when you post to multiple platforms (e.g. tagging
@thisThing works on Twitter but doesn't on Facebook, Google+ has
+thisThing and nobody else does, etc.).

In short, I think carefully curating the content posted to the "main"
social media account is the right way to do it, even if it's more manual
labor.

As for the Community Blog proposals listed by jzb, I'm +1 to both. I see
no harm in having *ALL* CommBlog posts go to @fedoracommunity, but
sometimes there might be an article that is worthwhile to share with the
greater community, even those who aren't exclusively contributors to
Fedora. Therefore, I also see no harm in having Community Blog articles
posted to official @Fedora accounts while keeping the @fedoracommunity
account standing.

In my eyes, the idea is that we handpick content from the CommBlog that
should be syndicated with the larger social media presence. Not
everything that comes out on the CommBlog needs to be shared on all the
accounts all the time.

To help answer that question about who is behind Fedora social media, I
CC'd the social media list in case anyone with privileges is watching
that list and can chime in to confirm. As far as Twitter goes, I don't
actively see the @Fedora account replying or engaging with replies or
content, but I wonder if this is a manpower issue? This came up between
me and bkp at a meeting, I think, but there are not any SOPs documenting
how to get involved with social media or how someone can contribute
outside of posting to the social-media mailing list. If more hands are
needed for this, I would also be happy to volunteer some time to help
with engagement.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory