Fedora Docs FAD 2014 Action Summary 2000!

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Thu Mar 27 19:26:30 UTC 2014

Thanks to everyone who participated in the FAD, I had a great time and
enjoyed meeting everyone. I've just gone through the minutes and memories
and put together a short summary of actionable stuff.

Fedora Products:
    - jreznik will help get the WGs talking about docs
    - jsmith to track Cloud product
    - zoglesby to track Server product
    - pkovar is already tracking env-and-stacks
    - I will track Workstation product

Publishing/infra:
    - jsmith and I started hacking on docs backend instance, jsmith made
progress then and since. authorized_keys is manually maintained, ping nb if
you are in sysadmin-docs and want to play along.
    - some of our trac instances don't mail. nb will look into it.
    - Sparks updated
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Publishing_a_document_with_Publican#Publishing_using_Koji
    - publishing translations means an extra step! check the doc.
    - The publican-fedora-web brand *might* be broken. We aren't sure if we
are building the site properly yet.

Videos:
    - everyone agreed that some videos would be nice
    - As I write this, I'm not sure if we had consensus on user facing
videos or Docs facing videos
    - Sparks is going to ping the fedora design list about video production
skills

Cookbook:
    - I started a new book, the "Fedora Cookbook". We can put short
articles that don't fit anywhere else in there.
    - The cookbook has rudimentary templates for people to fill out
    - submissions to follow review process, be part of mentorship program
    - Once this gets rolling, *please* help submitters see reviews then
published results and keep the turnaround time low.

Guides:
    - Sparks ressurected the Jargon Guide.
    - Laura gave us some good info on meta tags, and promised more.
    - We talked a bit about improving search presence. See below about
blogs.
    - We discussed a mentoring process quite a bit. Other than pairing off
mentors and new conrtributors, I don't recall any formalized mentoring
stuff. We should continue to discuss this.

New Contributors:
    - We agreed to encourage submissions on any topic.
    - Submissions will be reviewed for writing technique, etc
    - reviewer will then forward to an existing guide, new guide, or the
cookbook
    - Docs lead should regularly send out check-in emails for new writers
    - Meetings will have a new writer topic on the standing agenda
    - Laura was very interested in persuing contributions from technical
writing school sturents. Everyone thought that was a good idea and
encouraged her to do that :)

Documentation Guide:
    - Sparks added style guide content from the wiki
    - jsmith started working on a great intro guide with accompanying
workbook
    - I made a note to add something about yelp
    - I did add an introduction to the group
Meta:
    - We need to have more visibility in the project!
    - Docs people should write blogs and such and submit to
planet.fedoraproject.org
    - Being involved in other groups is a good idea
    - {{Moved_to_guide}} wiki template created for outdated wiki content
    - We are sad that the docs-qa process isn't happening