[Fedora-mentors-list] Hacking for Christ: Summer Of Code - Six Months On

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Tue Mar 21 08:18:06 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 23:32, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
> None of the ten projects shows any sign whatsoever of work having
> continued after the SoC deadline. Not one. No development-related
> mailing list traffic, no releases, nothing. It's as if the people
> vanished off the face of the earth on September 2nd.
>
> http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/2006/03/summer_of_code_six_mon
>ths_on.html
>
> -> Something that one needs to guard against.

I'm inclined to agree.  Most of the SoC projects have been ignored by the
students since the conclusion of the program.  Some, such as the Live CD
project started by Darko, continue.  Darko has kept in touch with the project
and his absence was anticipated and is related to his school.  He is likely
to return.  We have recently lost contact with pootypedia's author, and other
projects have met similar fates.  All is not lost, but it is a little
disappointing.  I was close to one of the projects, and have been horribly
disappointed in its author's actions since the end of the program.  We might
have had better luck had the Mentors program been alive and well to engage
more of the students.  Let's make that a guiding thought for the future.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/