Another option for fedmsg visualization

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Tue May 28 16:56:16 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 07:34:54PM -0400, Ralph Bean wrote:
> I ran into "Kibana"[1].  It's a web interface for searching and
> visualizing logs.  It would probably be pretty nice for visualizing
> fedmsg stuff.
>
> It looks cool.  Anyone interested in trying it out?  You'd need to get
> a datanommer dump into ElasticSearch.
>
> -Ralph
>
> [1] - http://three.kibana.org/about.html

Kibana rules. I met the creator of it at Monitorama recently, and was
very pleased to find out that the latest version was written in pure
javascript, as opposed to being a rails app.

I have a VM in our cloud that I was using for testing Logstash + Kibana
+ ElasticSearch. If you want to use that instance for testing, just let
me know.

Another thing worth nothing with regard to fedmsg + elasticsearch… A
while ago the raw fedmsg zeromq stream was hooked up to
demo.logstash.net, and it ended up crashing it constantly due to the
fact that it didn't have a consistent "schema" between message
producers. I fixed a bunch of the issues upstream already, for example
in FAS where the 'username' field would be a dict instead of a string.
I'm not sure if datanommer's data model would work around this issue or
not, but it's something to keep in mind.

luke