gtk2 on epel won't be easy

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Mon Nov 10 10:16:40 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 10:19:09AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-mingw/2008-October/000001.html
>>
>> As the packages get added to Fedora CVS, I'm requesting EL-5 branch
>> and building them.  Part of the reason is that oVirt _may_ wish to
>> build a Windows client on RHEL/EPEL, and they have requested this.
>> Another reason is that there seems to be interest from CentOS users.
>
> The big question for EPEL-5 branches though is what version of the
> packages to build for MinGW. For the Fedora release & rawhide branches
> our plan was to have each MingGW build track the version + patches
> of the corresponding native build.
>
> If we apply that logic to EPEL-5, then we shouldn't be copying the
> Fedora 9 mingw packages there - we should be -resyncing them to
> match the versions distributed in RHEL-5.

imho if we use the fedora's version and patches that's still better than
not having mingw for epel. what's more epel packages usually are the
same version as in fedora not as in rhel. ok i know it's a bit confusing
since there is no mingw in rhel, but there is gtk2 in rhel which is
older then mingw32-gtk2, but imho still better than nothing. and to keep
two parallel version for eg. mingw32-gtk2 (one for fedora and one for
epel) it'd be waste of time of those people who package it.