RFC: mingw32-filesystem script rewrite [was Re: man directory change (and other macro rewrites)]

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Tue Nov 11 11:10:20 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:42:22AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> Both files need to be changed.
>> Why ?  The separate mingw-configure shell  script isn't used for the
>> RPM build packaging, and as such shouldn't be applying RPM filesystem
>> layout policy, just the minimal flags to cross-compile suitably. In
>> same way as native %configure overrides everything to apply RPM policy,
>> but plain 'configure' uses the apps default policy.
>
> Well ... I was hoping to keep them roughly in synch, since I use the
> mingw32-configure script when initially building/testing, before
> packaging (ie. before using %{_mingw32_configure}).
>
> I can't see the harm in keeping them (mostly) in synch ...
>
> Having said that, the most important thing is that Levente posts a
> proposed patch here for review, then we get it agreed on and ACKed,
> then it can be committed to Fedora.

after sleep a bit i come to the conclusion to rewrite
mingw32-filesystem's script a bit:
- mingw32-macros.mingw32 for a more detailed configure,
- mingw32-macros.mingw32 for a compact cflags,
- mingw32-macros.mingw32 for a compact cxxflags, is there any proposed
flags for c++ code?
- mingw32-macros.mingw32 add makeinstall target
- add a generic mingw32-env environment setup into _mingw32_libexecdir
which use mingw32-macros.mingw32 and rpmbuild --showrc to use one
commong place where all settings take place. so after that only
mingw32-macros.mingw32 contains all variable settings
- rewrite /usr/bin/mingw32-configure to use the mingw32-env
- write a new /usr/bin/mingw32-make which use mingw32-env

i've google around a bit about the sjlj <-> dwarf2 stuff and for me it
seems in the current mingw release it's already dwarf2 by default. so i
always vote for use the upstream mingw's default.
the main problem here is that we've to decided which version to use
since if we wanna switch we've to recompile _everything_ as different
packages won't be compatible with eachother.

any comments?