new packages policy

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Nov 28 15:05:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 03:48:23PM +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> it seems i'm getting closer to be able to compile gtk+ for mingw32.
> unfortunately i spend way too much time with glib1 and gtk-1.2.x, but
> from this page it's turn out it was just waste of time:-(
> http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html
> --------------------------------------
> "The GTK+ API was still mostly like GTK+ 1.2.7, which is what was
> current when this branch was created. Unfortunately, very few of the
> platform-independent fixes (in the gtk widgets) that went into GTK+ 1.2
> since 1.2.7 are present. Unlike GTK+ 1.2 on Unix, GTK+ 1.3.0 on Windows
> is built to use GLib 2.x. There is no binary distribution of any GLib
> 1.2 for Windows."
> --------------------------------------
> so i try to compile this version (and not the one in fedora).
> my question should i put into my own repo or add to your hg repo or just
> create a new review request?
> and the same question apply to the next weeks brunch of gstreamer
> packages (and it's dependencies) too?
> thanks.

IMHO we should not package  GTK+ for MinGW. This is a seriously ancient
library essentially unmaintained at this point, and no modern apps should
be using it. Even on native there little of consquence that wants this
ancient code & desire to kill it off entirely, and we shouldn't encourage
its use on Windows

Daniel