gtk2 on epel won't be easy

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Fri Oct 31 15:43:19 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 02:38:16PM +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> To be honest I don't really see the point in rebuilding  this using
>>> EPEL. Since mingw is a cross-compile, whatever distro is used for the
>>> host OS should not materially impact the resulting binaries. So ignoring
>>> the lack of automake, if you build the same version of mingw-gtk2 on
>>> Fedora 8, Fedora 9, Fedora 10, EPEL-5 the resulting DLL should  be the
>>> same.
>>>
>>> Building stuff on EPEL only makes sense if you are going to build the
>>> actual version of GTK from EPEL-5 for mingw. Rebuilding the Fedora 9
>>> version of GTK on EPEL-5 for mingw just seems like a waste of time.
>> the problem comes when we've got an epel build host which create all
>> packages (linux, windows, etc). in this case i'd like to use (and build)
>> mingw32 on epel.
>
> You shouldn't do builds based on the host OS packages. If you use mock
> then you can use a CentOS/RHEL5 build host, and make mingw packages using
> a Fedora 9 based mock config. So no need to actually build anything against
> RHEL5 packages

unfortunately i don't understand this:-(
suppose i would like to put these packages into EPEL too.
then where should i build those packages which get into EPEL-5?

ps. i like put these packages into EPEL-5 beacuse out software run on
centos-5 and i'd like to recompile the same program to windows too.
what's more i'd like to compile my program on centos-5. i hope now i'm
getting clear.