mingw32-gtk2, gtk-demo fails on loading images.

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Mar 1 19:00:28 UTC 2009

I got the skinny on this from my contact at SUSE.

GDI+ is theoretically the best choice, since it's a native Win32
library that can load many different image formats.  It's what Gtk
will use by default if detected, and indeed it's what our mingw32-gtk2
package uses.  However _in practice_ this fails with images over a
certain size (bugs in Windows?  who'd have thought!).

So he recommends disabling GDI+ when compiling Gtk.  This means we
will need a mingw32-libtiff library if we want to support TIFF.

SUSE's packages also link the pixbuf loaders statically to avoid the
gtk-pixbuf.loaders configuration file.  He also tells me he links
pango's IM-modules statically to avoid another config file,
gtk.immodules.  That sounds like an excellent idea because we go
through hoops in nsiswrapper to create both these config files in the
right place with the right contents.

Anyone wants to have a go at making a patch for the above, please post
it on the list.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v