Posix support in mingw..

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Mar 7 08:20:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 10:01:29PM -0800, roy basavaraju wrote:
>     i am working an application, which needs to read user_id(uid),
> group_id(gid). for this i need posix headers grp.h & pwd.h.
> So my issue is if i replace these header files with any of the gnu libraries
> which supports in mingw, will my application able to read these file
> atributes correctly when it si running on a linux target..

I've not found anything to replace these functions.  In particular I
checked and Gnulib won't help you.  The way that users, groups, roles,
security etc. work in Windows is just too different from the way it
works in POSIX.

> if i summerise, i have to dvelop an filesystem related  application in
> mingw, with this executable i have to generate filesystem image in windows..
> this filesystem image i will flash in a linux based target.. it should work
> perfectly as the filesystem generated in linux environment..

I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve, but it's likely
that you will need to very carefully read Windows documentation on
their system of users, SIDs, etc.

Anyhow, this isn't something we can help you with.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/