Fedora 12: What projects for F12?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 13 13:54:34 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Does anything support DDK (eg. current MinGW 32 bit)?
>
> I don't really know much about this, but I do know that many people
> have asked if we can compile device drivers.  This would be very
> useful for virt, for example (to compile virtio drivers for Windows).

32-bit MinGW has some support for device driver development contributed by
the ReactOS folks. At least some simple drivers can compile with it. I'm
not sure how complete it is though. And unfortunately there's no 64-bit
support, which is definitely needed for device drivers because you can't
run a 32-bit device driver on a 64-bit OS. (That said, with 64-bit drivers
there's also the problem that 64-bit Vista requires signed drivers unless
you manually choose a boot option every single time you boot - every
available method to automate this has been removed.)

        Kevin Kofler