Fedora 12: What projects for F12?

Kai Tietz ktietz70 at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:00:59 UTC 2009

2009/3/13 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Does anything support DDK (eg. current MinGW 32 bit)?
>>
>> I don't really know much about this, but I do know that many people
>> have asked if we can compile device drivers.  This would be very
>> useful for virt, for example (to compile virtio drivers for Windows).
>
> 32-bit MinGW has some support for device driver development contributed by
> the ReactOS folks. At least some simple drivers can compile with it. I'm
> not sure how complete it is though. And unfortunately there's no 64-bit
> support, which is definitely needed for device drivers because you can't
> run a 32-bit device driver on a 64-bit OS. (That said, with 64-bit drivers
> there's also the problem that 64-bit Vista requires signed drivers unless
> you manually choose a boot option every single time you boot - every
> available method to automate this has been removed.)

We are staying in contact to ReactOS. They offered us to use their
ported DDK package (yes, it has 64-bit capabilities). Things are
getting stucked, because they try to find some authors of some files
in the package, to re-license it to PD. Otherwise we can't put them
into our base header-set, because we won't use GPLed code here.

Cheers,
Kai