mingw defines __MSVCRT_VERSION__

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 19 18:38:03 UTC 2009

Farkas Levente wrote:
> may be it's not the right place to ask and would be better to move to
> mingw mailing list, but it's the right version?
> ie. the current runtime really not support __MSVCRT_VERSION__ >= 0x0601?
> thanks.

No, it's just that the default version is 0x0600 to be compatible with old
installed versions of msvcrt.dll.

You can compile with -D__MSVCRT_VERSION__=0x0601, but then expect trouble on
systems which still ship the ancient 0x0600 version (e.g. Window$ 95 OSR 2,
I guess - the original Window$ 95 didn't include msvcrt.dll at all). I'm
not sure when the 0x0601 version was introduced nor whether it's worth
caring about the systems which shipped the 0x0600 version and never got
their msvcrt.dll upgraded by a newer M$VC application.

        Kevin Kofler