Interest in Sane or LibUSB

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Mar 24 18:30:43 UTC 2009

Would there be any interest in having Sane or LibUSB in the mingw
packages? I have specs and patches for both, however the are some caveats:

sane-backends is set to compile only the "fujitsu" scanner backend, no
IPv6, and no saned. This is due to the scanner I am using, and also
because the other backends require lots of porting because other
backends use UNIX signals and the fujitsu backend does not. Otherwise it
compiles and works for me.

libusb-win32 compiles and runs without much modification, however this
library has a tendency to BSOD Vista machines. Works fine with Windows
XP. This is also only the 0.1.12 library. The 1.0 library is the current
release, but since Fedora isn't shipping it and Sane requires 0.1.12 I
am using it. Any know if Fedora switching to 1.0? Also, the resulting
.exe files generates an auto-requires of "setupapi.dll" and
"cfgmgr32.dll" so this is an issue that needs addressing.

As for maintainer-ship, I don't think I would be a good candidate to
maintain the packages so I'd be looking for someone to take the
specs/patches.

Michael