regex spencer vs. libgnurx

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Fri May 22 12:45:25 UTC 2009

Op vrijdag 22-05-2009 om 13:02 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Fridrich
Strba:
> Just wondering why are you trying to package the regex spencer library
> instead of using the glibc-extracted regex functions packaged in mingw
> project as libgnurx?
>
> Cheers
>
> Fridrich
>
> P.S.: Maybe this can be useful to read:
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/dependencies/regex.README

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I didn't knew about libgnurx yet as the
software I develop and maintain for Win32 originates from 2006 while
libgnurx was only published in 2007. Next to that, libgnurx isn't really
well advertised on Google. It doesn't have a real upstream and it's
hidden somewhere on MinGW's Download page as a 'User contributed'
download.

The main issue mentioned in the regex.README file is that the regex.dll
of gnuwin32 has a different ABI than the regex.dll of rxspencer. This
isn't really an issue for this package as the resulting .dll is called
librxspencer-0.dll instead of regex.dll. The headers for this package
are also placed in a separate directory, so it shouldn't clash with
libgnurx.

What to do now? I could drop the review request for rxspencer and start
a new one for libgnurx, but as the review of rxspencer is already almost
finished I don't know what the right thing to do is..

Regards,

Erik van Pienbroek