Smartcard PC/SC support in MingW on Fedora

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Wed Nov 10 22:39:36 UTC 2010

Michael Cronenworth schreef op wo 10-11-2010 om 16:12 [-0600]:
> Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> [snip]
> > My goal is to get this framework integrated in Fedora 15.
>
> Wow, looks great!
>
> I am definitely looking forward to this. Nice work.
>
> Is there anything that you need help with? The wiki page doesn't seem to
> mention any TODO work besides getting the new packages in Fedora. I
> guess I'll give your yum repo a shot and try compiling things.

There sure are several TODO items. A more complete list will be posted
with the announcement which will come soon, but here's a list of tasks
which come to my mind right now:

Porting all mingw32-* packages in the testing repository:
Several packages in the testing repository have already been ported to
use the full potential of the cross compiler framework and can build
binaries for both win32 and win64. Help is welcome to port the rest of
the packages as well. As all development takes places in a SVN
repository it's easy to make changes (if you've got changes ready which
you want to commit, you can contact me off-list for an account).
Documentation about how packages can be ported can be found at the link
I mentioned earlier.

Legal audit:
There have been some legal issues in the past with mingw-w64 toolchain.
As far as I know these legal issues should have been cleared by now, but
I think it will be a good idea if somebody could ask fedora-legal if the
mingw-w64 toolchain as it stands today is approved for inclusion in
Fedora.

Mass-rename of mingw32-* packages:
If we want to build packages for both win32 and win64 targets (and later
osx) then the mingw32-* packages have to be renamed to use the generic
'cross-' prefix (instead of 'mingw32-*'). We've can have two approaches
to reach this. One is a mass-rename/mass-port and the other approach is
by having all mingw32-* packages go through the review process again.
The first one requires buy-in from rel-eng and FESCO (I think). The
latter is much more time consuming (given the time needed to review
packages). Perhaps somebody could ask rel-eng what's the best thing we
can do to archieve this.

Kind regards,

Erik van Pienbroek