libz.dll.a missing gzdirect?

John Stebbins stebbins at jetheaddev.com
Fri Oct 1 18:11:07 UTC 2010

 On 10/01/2010 10:30 AM, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> Op vrijdag 01-10-2010 om 09:36 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef John
> Stebbins:
>> Is this a known issue? Anyone else seen it?
> Hi John,
>
> This looks like a known issue.
>
> The .dll.a file is an import library which only contains a list of
> symbols which are exported in the .DLL. The regular .a file is a static
> library which doesn't care about exported symbols (iow: all symbols are
> exported).
>
> There are some bugs in zlib 1.2.3 which prevent some symbols from being
> exported in the dll/dll.a files. One of the affected libraries of this
> bug is the latest glib, see [1] for details. To fix this, I've updated
> zlib to 1.2.5 in Fedora 14 and rawhide. I might update the zlib package
> in Fedora 13 as well if there's a demand for it, but I don't have any
> plans to update the Fedora 12 package as that release is reaching
> end-of-life.
Thanks for the info. Nice to know it's a solved problem.

Hmm, I am running fedora 13 (upgraded from 12).  yum doesn't seem to think there is an fc13 package for zlib.  In fact,
the versions I have are from an old rawhide repo I have since disabled.

mingw32-zlib.noarch                     1.2.3-19.fc12          @rawhide/11.92
mingw32-zlib-static.noarch              1.2.3-19.fc12          @rawhide/11.92

Removing those and reinstalling produces:

mingw32-zlib.noarch                     1.2.3-19.fc12          @fedora
mingw32-zlib-static.noarch              1.2.3-19.fc12          fedora

Is something configured wrong someplace?
> You can try to manually install the Fedora 14 package of mingw32-zlib
> (which can be found at [2]) and see if the libxml2 build succeeds with
> it.
Yes, this works.
> Speaking of which, why are you building libxml2? We've already got a
> mingw32-libxml2 package in Fedora which works fine. If you want to help
> with maintaining the package, feel free to apply for it in pkgdb.

Our application is cross platform, and as such, the build system is also designed to be cross platform.  The maintainer
of the windows code actually uses mingw on osx to build releases, so he must build libxml2.  I build on fedora to help
out with the occasional bug.