base package version and patches

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Thu Aug 11 09:22:10 UTC 2011

On 08/10/2011 09:00 PM, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 14:09 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> first of all which binutils to use? imho always the latest release
>> (currently binutils-2.21.53.0.2), but in fedora rpms there are many
>> patches. should we use them too? imho yes. these packages made by many
>> those people who really know what patches to add. most of these patches
>> are linux specific but this means those are not bother windows build and
>> it'd be easier not to select patches just use fedora patches.
>
> I don't really share that opinion. Those patches which are in binutils
> and gcc have been added there by the Fedora maintainers to mostly fix
> some non-upstreamed issues which are specific to the Fedora Linux
> environment. We can't be certain that these patches won't break anything
> for the mingw target. If we have any issues with the toolchain then the
> upstream mingw-w64 developers can help us better if we use a non-patched
> copy of the toolchain packages.
>
> The only point where I think patches are okay is when the upstream
> mingw-w64 developers recommends specific patches to us.

let's see binutils:
binutils-2.20.51.0.10-sec-merge-emit.patch
binutils-2.20.51.0.2-build-id.patch
binutils-2.20.51.0.2-set-long-long.patch
binutils-2.20.51.0.2-version.patch
these have nothing to do with linux these are general fixes. what's more
all other patches do not have any effect to the windows binary.
the same apply to many gcc patches.