switching to win_iconv

Kalev Lember kalev at smartlink.ee
Sat May 7 16:17:19 UTC 2011

On 10/12/2010 01:58 PM, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
[snip, also changed the subject]
> Another thing GTK upstream has done in their Win32 binaries is using
> win-iconv instead of GNU iconv. I just put up a review request for
> mingw32-win-iconv at [4]. Could somebody please review that package?
>
> Does everybody agree to these changes?

Thanks for working on this, Erik.

Fedora 15 is almost out of the door and if we want to switch over to
win_iconv, it might be a good time to do it now in rawhide (F16).

win_iconv is a little project that implements the iconv API on top of
the WIN32 API, making the DLL footprint much smaller than with GNU
iconv. Several projects that I know of are already using win_iconv:
 - glib bundles a copy of win_iconv internally
   http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/tree/glib/win_iconv.c
 - official GNOME and KDE Windows builds are built with the
   win_iconv library instead of GNU iconv
 - openSUSE MinGW project appears to have switched over to win_iconv

Amorilia has unofficially reviewed the package -- he's not an official
packager yet, but given how thorough the review was, he'd make a good one.

I am slightly worried about regressions over the GNU iconv, but I guess
we'll see. In any case, the small binary sounds very appealing.

Does anyone have opinions whether we should go on with retiring GNU
iconv and switching over to win_iconv?

--
Kalev