Proposal: updated Fedora MinGW Packaging Guidelines

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Wed Nov 30 22:36:26 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Some time ago Kalev Lember introduced a new dependency extraction
mechanism in the mingw32-filesystem package which uses the RPM 4.9
hooks. Due to this change, some instructions can now be dropped from all
Fedora MinGW spec files.

Because of this change a revision of the Fedora MinGW Packaging
Guidelines is required. Initially we had hoped to make the switch to
mingw-w64 (and thus the new packaging guidelines) earlier, but as we're
still waiting on legal approval I think it would be wise to revise the
original Fedora MinGW Packaging Guidelines one more time.

I just updated the original packaging guidelines and put a draft up for
review for the Fedora Packaging Committee. The exact changes can be seen
at https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=PackagingDrafts%
2FMinGW&action=historysubmit&diff=262356&oldid=262352

The changes are pretty straightforward:
* The old dependency extraction instructions can now be dropped
* .def files shouldn't have to be bundled with packages anymore

Before proposing these changes to the FPC I would like to put it up for
review on this mailing list first. If anybody thinks my proposed changes
should be rewritten or some other element needs to updated I'd like to
hear about it so it can be changed before proposing it to the FPC.

If I don't hear anything back in the next 24 hours I'll file a ticket at
the FPC so it can be discussed in their next meeting.

Kind regards,

Erik van Pienbroek