Version Discrepancy Report

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Sep 5 02:54:01 UTC 2012

On 09/04/2012 12:17 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
> Why is Fedora maintaining a whole separate set of packages for the
> MinGW spin of builds when they could be all built from the same
> packages? Then all packages would be updated with a single effort, and
> they would share patchsets, etc. Since building is done out of stream
> anyway, at least for MinGW packages, then why do we need to maintain a
> completely parallel set of packages?

Pick one:
- Not all Fedora software can be cross-compiled.
- Not all maintainers would be interested in adding or maintaining
mingw- packages to their spec.
- No other distribution does what you describe, probably for the reasons
above.

The same could be said of Fedora ARM. Unfortunately we do not live in a
perfect world. I am satisfied with the process that we have, and one day
we may be able to unify packages, but that day is not today.