Packaging best practices: binary tools in mingw packages

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Fri May 10 18:41:33 UTC 2013

Michael Cronenworth schreef op vr 10-05-2013 om 12:26 [-0500]:
> It could be argued that the current "mingw-qt-tools" package should
> merge with the main one. It is the only package that has a "-tools"
> sub-package.

There are currently two packages in Fedora MinGW which use the -tools
suffix: mingw-qt (Qt4) and mingw-gtk-vnc.

I'm open to updating the mingw-qt (Qt4) package so that it doesn't have
a seperate -tools package any more. I still need to clean up this
package as it is becoming an ugly package which requires over 50GB of
disk space to get built, so I can get this done in one go.

The mingw-gtk-vnc package only contains an executable named
gvnccapture.exe, so this should be easy to do as well

On 05/10/2013 10:03 AM, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> > Native executables (group 3) must always be bundled in a separate
> > package because they are arch-specific (while packages containing mingw
> > binaries are noarch).

I was just working on the mingw-qt5-qttools package. This package
contains a mix of cross-compiled and native binaries. The cross-compiled
ones are bundled in the mingw{32,64}-qt5-qttools binary packages. At the
moment there's one native executable called lrelease. I've placed this
native executable in an (arch-specific) package called
mingw{32,64}-qt5-qttools-lrelease.

However, I just found out that I also need to bundle a native executable
called qhelpgenerator (which is needed to build mingw-qt5-qtdoc) with
this package. So I've got two solutions to go forward now:
1. Create a new subpackage called
   mingw{32,64}-qt5-qttools-qhelpgenerator
2. Rename the current mingw{32,64}-qt5-qttools-lrelease package to
   something more generic (like mingw{32,64}-qt5-qttools-tools or
   mingw{32,64}-qt5-qttools-native-tools) and have it contain both
   the native lrelease and qhelpgenerator tools

What would you recommend? These kind of situations should also become
part of the packaging guidelines

Regards,

Erik van Pienbroek