kernel for mips32 ?

Xin Zhen xlonestar2000 at aim.com
Sun Aug 15 04:49:24 UTC 2010

Hi Sergio,

在 2010-08-15日的 02:10 +0100,Sergio Monteiro Basto写道:
> Hi, List
>
> I see that we have kernel for mips malta , but I'd like build a kernel
> for mips 32
>
> # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> system type : Realtek Venus
> processor : 0
> cpu model : MIPS 4KEc V6.4

4KEc is a common core found in various SoCs. According to
http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Realtek_SOC , Realtek has some MIPS based
chips that supported by linux-mips.

> I am studying (as hobby) put a newer kernel on a multimedia player
>
> http://minimodding.com/tiki-index.php?page=InstalBB116Snap#comments
>
> So can we build a kernel for a mispel ?

A linux-mips kernel can be downloaded by
http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Getting_the_kernel . The latest release
is 2.6.35.

> I have others questions like why a kernel 2.6.26 ? and not newer ?
> Basically because some hardware support may need kernels newer.

The latest kernel RPM of Fedora-MIPS is
kernel-vanilla-2.6.35-85.fc13.mips64el.rpm that can be downloaded from
http://lazyfai.dyndns.org/Fedora-13-RPMS-MIPS/Packages/ . However,
whatever version it is, it is not for your player. Currently Fedora-MIPS
kernel can boot only on Loongson2F-based nettops and netbooks.

Find and build a suitable kernel for your player from linux-mips.org,
not from Fedora-MIPS. And, the user space packages are compiled against
mips3 and abi=n32. I don't know if they can be run on 4KEc. Maybe you
can have a try ;)