status of new gabbage collector on mono 2.8 fedora

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 2 01:05:40 UTC 2010

Hi - I have been following the progress of integration of mono 2.8 into fedora. e.g. http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=206128

I am a little disappointed with the sgen being disabled on 64-bit build - I assume that means the simple generational gabbage collector, rather than
'sgen - Mono XML Serializer GENerator'. That's the change I have been waiting for almost two years for some applications I run which does strange things memory-wise and needs a large heap otherwise(?).

Can somebody post and summarise the problem? I am on f14 and have a mono git (and regularly cross-compile mono with some local changes) and I'd like to get this fixed, if something needs fixing.