Mono 4 Alpha1

Michele Baldessari michele at acksyn.org
Fri Apr 17 10:10:13 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 05:06:07PM +0200, Timotheus Pokorra wrote:
> To report back on these questions:
> > Actually, there is quite a big number of dll files in the source
> > tarball, see the list at the end of this email.
> >
> > How should we go about this?
> > I have also sent an email to the upstream mono packagers list to ask
> > Jo Shields who is employed by Xamarin and also is the maintainer of
> > the Debian packages:
> > http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-packagers-list/2015-April/000218.html
> Jo answered here on the mono packagers list: [1]
>
> He told me I can drop the external binaries, they are only for
> supporting older .net Frameworks.
> So this is what I have done [2], and the resulting rpm works fine for me.
> find . -name "*.dll" -not -path "./mcs/class/lib/monolite/*" -print -delete
> find . -name "*.exe" -not -path "./mcs/class/lib/monolite/*" -print -delete
>
> > The other topic are the monolite executables.
> Jo explains in [1] how they do this for Debian: they have made an
> exception to the rule, and use the monolite binaries included in the
> tarball.
> The question is who makes such decisions for Fedora?

You will need to bring this up to Fesco if this is a hard
requirement.

> For an incremental upgrade, would it be possible to upgrade from 2.10
> to eg. 3.2.8 in rawhide, and then to 3.12.1, and then to 4.0, without
> actually having the intermediate versions as part of a Fedora release?

Probably not in a single Fedora release, as that would be a bit too invasive.
If the existing mono based packages keep working, you could propose
a complete upgrade to mono 4.x for F23.

So yes I think you are on the right path and if you manage to solve the
buildability topic (monolite) and the mono packages keep working, there
should be nothing major stopping this upgrade.

cheers,
Michele

> [1]: http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-packagers-list/2015-April/000219.html
> [2]: https://github.com/tpokorra/lbs-mono-fedora/blob/master/mono/mono.spec#L291

Michele Baldessari            <michele at acksyn.org>
C2A5 9DA3 9961 4FFB E01B  D0BC DDD4 DCCB 7515 5C6D