[Fedora-music-list] Alsa tools and firmware

Aaron Sherman ajs at ajs.com
Wed May 10 11:17:49 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> It really gets more and more confusing -- some of the Fedora mailing
> list use ugly things ling mangling Subjects (Like the
> [Fedora-music-list]), others don't (which is good).

This is essential, and many of us would not be able to subscribe to
low-volume lists if they didn't identify themselves in the subject of
their mail. The other option is to post-process the subject through
procmail in order to munge the subject myself, but then my replies look
odd, and I have to make an extra effort for every list.

> The same with reply to -- some of our lists mangle the "Reply to" so
> each reply goes to the list. Others (like this list) don't do that.
> That's really really confusing and annoying.

Reply-to munging is a matter of the list policy. Many lists prefer that
threads not migrate off-list by accident. By setting a reply-to, the
risk becomes private messages going to the list. Some list admins prefer
it that way. I'm actually on one list that combines the worst of both
worlds: no reply-to change, and the list will bounce any mail that
includes any other To or Cc targets :-/
> I think it's time for a general Fedora mailing list policy so all
> (most?) of our lists use the same behavior.

Hrm... The Fedora mailing lists are probably too diverse at this point
to impose anything that sweeping to all of them.