[Fedora-music-list] Re: Mixer Wowes

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu May 7 08:40:00 UTC 2009

William M. Quarles wrote:
 > David Timms wrote:
 >> William M. Quarles wrote:
 >>> I have Fedora 10 and a machine with a (please, no laughing or
 >>> snickering) Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE 64 Value sound card and a
 >>> Sigma Designs RealMagic Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card. While the
 >>> computer loads the ALSA drivers needed for both cards,
 >> As evidenced by ?
 >
 > Uh, as evidenced by lsmod? I'm not a newbie if that's what you're
implying.
Yes, but really was it an alsa util you used, lsmod or looking at /proc ?

 > [root at quarlewm ~]# lsmod
I suggested grep snd so that we would get sound related modules, not the
whole thing. It's just faster to look at the reduced version. I can
however see all the modules seem to be linked up.

 >> I'm not sure which mod the awe needs, but check lsmod |grep snd
 >> Maybe fpaste.org your alsa-info results for others to check
 >
 > The AWE 64 cards use snd-sbawe module, which can be easily checked on
 > http://www.alsa-project.org/'s sound card matrix.
Given that your asking for help, I probably won't be going searching
sites to try to find appropriate info; I'll ask you to, or you could
offer that info, and hence we know what you've tried.

 > I have no idea what you mean by fpaste.org
One of many paste-bin web sites. These allow anonymous (you do need to
supply an email address that is used to limit bad usage of the site)
text upload site. It's really just a holder for bits of text from logs /
compiles etc that would unnecessarily fill up mailing list user's email
boxes.
http://fpaste.org is targeted towards Fedora users.

 >, but alsa-info does seem like
 > a good idea in this case; however it also unfortunately seems a little
 > useless since it reveals a great deal of output, but I can't copy and
 > paste any of it into this post
That's the point of the paste-bin, we don't really want large log files
in our email boxes.

 > , and the final message upon exiting the program says:
 >
 >     Your ALSA information is located at
 >     Please inform the person helping you.
 >
 > So, uh, LOCATED AT big blank?
Yeah, that didn't work out well:
Your ALSA information is located at
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=23db04e4a7aeaa23357d00481f38b86638e90b21

Please inform the person helping you.
$

Well it normally pastes to the alsa project pastebin, and gives the link
(which worked for me). I'm guessing your internet/web access is normal,
so perhaps this is further indication of something going wrong during
alsa calls ?

 > Gee, diagnostic program.
has a --help capability:
alsa-info --help
   shows a debug option, that stores the large alsa log on your local
disk so that you could manually put it on a pastebin, and post the link
back here.

 >>> the sound controls in GNOME only display the Hollywood+ controls, and
 >>> nothing is available for the AWE 64.
Bugger.

 > [root at quarlewm ~]# alsamixer
 > ALSA lib pulse.c:272:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
 > Connection refused
If pulseaudio wasn't running, I think you would get a different error like:
$ alsamixer
E: socket-client.c: socket(): Address family not supported by protocol

 > alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused
 > [root at quarlewm ~]# alsaunmute
 > Unknown hardware: "SB AWE" "CTL1745" "CTL1745" "" ""
 > Hardware is initialized using a guess method
 > /lib/alsa/init/default:17: unable to convert dB value '-20dB' to
 > internal integer range
Mine:
$ alsaunmute
Unknown hardware: "CA0106" "" "" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a guess method
$

I guess aplay wont work either ?
alsamixer -c0 ?
ps aux|grep -E 'pad|pav|pul'

I'm assuming playback is a problem as well, not just mixer control ?

Do you have the option to try without the decoder card installed, for a
giggle ?

DaveT.