[Fedora-music-list] Musicians' Guide in Development; Testing Needed!

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Jul 10 22:43:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 07:41:18PM -0400, Christopher Antila wrote:

> This is to say, "Your mileage may vary."  The open-source philosophy
> encourages people to choose the solution that works best for them.

We do have a slight patch to that philosophy for Fedora, which is to
use what is in Fedora primarily.  Ideally, if there are problems with
the tool that is packaged in Fedora, we work to get that fixed.
Sometimes, tech documentation is writing a way around a bug or
problematic user interface.  Ideally, we see the software fixed, then
we can amend or remove the documentation that worked around it.  If
something is entirely not in Fedora, that seems like a good time to
look beyond, such as RPM Fusion.  (We should, at the least, put out
the word that packaging is needed, someone might pick it up.)  But we
should still be interested in getting the software packaged in a
formal repository.

In all of that, we have to be careful that we aren't making
recommendations that can create trouble, as outlined on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items .

As I'm reviewing the Fedora Musicians' Guide (I happen to be in or
part of the target audience), I'll look for those situations where we
have trouble recommending a Fedora package, and then talk with you
about how to resolve each individually.  (Presuming I find them, your
mentors may have already addressed this.)

(I know we all may hold varied opinions on the best practices here,
 but the Fedora Project's practice is guided by US law.  Our practice
 here can't be very flexible as it is constrained until that law
 changes.  I don't mean to be raising a debate about software patents
 and the DMCA.  I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.)

- Karsten